CollaboZine: (noun) a zine made through collaboration.
Teamwork makes the zine work!
HallowZine: The Zine 2020
Contribute to this year’s HallowZine Zine! Using 1+ prompt, express yourself via comic, poem, collage, doodle, drawing, story, joke, meme, list, etc., and send your thing(s) to email@example.com by Oct. 24th with “Hallowzine” in the subject line. Please format your thing as a 5.25 inch [W] X 8.25 inch [H] — image file preferred!
Include your name/pen-name, the title of your thing, and social media/website if you want people to find you and your stuff!
- They opened the door and …
- Every Hallow’s Eve _____ walks the earth.
- Drink one vial of _____ and …
- They looked in the mirror and their eyes were now …
- My skeleton in the closet
- Stare into the darkness and ____ stares back at you.
- My skin was crawling with …
- Little did they know there was a painting of ____ was in the attic.
- Did you know that kids have more bones than adults?
Free download: Covid-19 Zine for printing to make a paper zine [PDF]
(Print double-sided landscape mode, flipping on the short side.)
On March 17, we invited our DC+ friends and family to contribute to our Covid-19 Zine, as a way to motivate people to be creative during the pandemic. The response was incredible. We are so grateful that you shared your art with us.
In the following pages you will find comics, poems, stories, photos, doodles, drawings, collages, paintings, and even a couple lists from 38 community members. You will find frustration, loneliness, despair, restlessness, and longing, but you will also find humor, gratefulness, beauty, and love.
-Your DC Zinefest Organizers
HELP US SUPPORT 10 LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS for ZINEFEST 2020!
In celebration of 10 years of DC Zinefest, we will be working with organizations or groups, big or small, to develop 10 CollaboZines touching on 10 issues in our city: housing justice, education, food justice, you name it. These zines will then be sold at Zinefest events and all proceeds will go to these ten organizations. Right now, we are working on the selection process and hope to have our CollaboOrgs confirmed by the beginning of March. If your organization reached out to us, you should hear back sometime in the last 2 weeks of February. In the meantime, feel free to e-mail us with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
—in full —
It’s exciting and humbling to think that DC Zinefest’s 10th anniversary is fast approaching. While we’re planning a lot of ways to celebrate throughout the year, one of the things we want to do this year is to collaborate with the community that we have developed over the past decade to uplift the work and raise money for individuals and organizations who are doing awesome work and helping to sustain and celebrate the many communities, identities, cultures, and interests that make up our city. Specifically, we want to work with local organizations to build meaningful zines that cover key issues in DC and support/highlight those who are affected by and/or are working to address these issues. We need your help to bring everyone together.
In the coming year, DC Zinefest will work with organizations or groups, big or small, to develop 10 CollaboZines touching on 10 issues in our city: housing justice, education, food justice, you name it. These zines will then be sold at Zinefest events and all proceeds will go to these ten organizations. The most important thing is that we want these groups to represent the many diversities that make up DC. Many of our organizers are involved in these struggles, and we know that our tablers are involved in many more.
We know that each of our partner organization may be able to participate at different levels. We have lots of different ideas about how to make this happen:
- Make a zine- Your organization could create the zine, facilitating the process.
- Host a zinelab- Your organization could host a zinelab, invite your membership, and if you’d like, we could help to facilitate the lab and make the zine.
- Call for submissions- We can work with you to create a “call for submissions” that we can work together to distribute. We can then assemble the zine or work with you to assemble it
- Invite DCZF to your event- We visit your event, distribute quarter-sized sheets that the attendees can write/draw/do whatever on. We can then compile them into a zine.
- We make the whole zine- We can release a call for submissions to create a zine based on your issue area. We then donate the proceeds to you. In this case, little to no involvement would be necessary on your part.
Many, many other options, of course, are available. We’d love to talk through what options works best for each of the organizations. The most important part for us is not the “how,” it’s the “why.” We want to put the work of activists, community members, and organizers at front and center of each of these 10 projects.
Right now, we are working on the selection process and hope to have our CollaboOrgs confirmed by the beginning of March. If your organization reached out to us, you should hear back sometime in the last 2 weeks of February. In the meantime, feel free to e-mail us with questions at email@example.com
DC Zinefest Organizers
Check out this collaboZine we made with members of our paper-touchin’ community at the HallowZineLab at Mt Pleasant Library on 10/15/19. This is our first 100% complete collaboZine, and we have visions for more to come.
If you’d like to support us in making Zinefest happen, you are welcome to donate via Venmo: dczinefest. (The PDF is totally $FREE$, but if you feel moved to donate, the suggested donation $1-5.)